Second Life Buffalo Loves Cotton Project
The spring 2011 FashionCAD class worked on a Buffalo Loves Cotton in Second Life project. This was but one of many class projects for the FashionCAD class and one of multiple Fashion and Textile Technology course projects that are part of the Buffalo State Loves Cotton Inc. Education Grant. Students signed up for Second Life and first learned the basics of moving, flying and communicating before all meeting up on the Buffalo State island in Second Life. [note: The Buffalo State island in Second Life is sponsored by the Research Foundation at Buffalo State College]
Once there they were able to practice snapshots with the poseballs. They familiarized themselves with the Appearance menu to develop clothing inside Second Life before learning how to develop a customized design using a UV map. Their first UV map project students worked on was with a t-shirt using one of their custom designs. Once they became familiar with how a UV map could be used to develop custom garments, they uploaded some of the custom repeat patterns they developed for previous assignments. Their final Second Life project goal was to replicate the Buffalo Loves Cotton garments using surface patterns and garment designs developed by a previous group of students. They used Robin Wood’s Second Life UV maps to draw garments similar to the ones that were developed and constructed for the Runway 4.0 event. Once their Buffalo Loves garments were created they used the poseballs to take snapshots of their avatars [image above].
The conclusion of the Second Life module was a Buffalo Loves Cotton fashion show. Students activated an animation object and practiced walking their avatars before the final video [above] on the runway.
Buffalo Loves Cotton Posts:
- OptiTex: Buffalo Loves Cotton Fashion Mash
- Buffalo Loves Cotton: OptiTex
- Buffalo Loves Cotton Fashions I
- Buffalo Loves Cotton: Tee Graphics
- Buffalo Loves Cotton: Window Display Concept
- Buffalo Loves Cotton: FashionCAD Student Concepts
- Buffalo Loves Cotton: Fashion Flats
- Buffalo Loves Cotton: FTT304 Student Concepts
- Buffalo Loves Cotton T-Shirt Graphic Contest
- Buffalo Loves Cotton Print Design Voting
- Buffalo Loves Cotton Adobe Class Project
- What is the Buffalo State Loves Cotton Project?